Saturday, November 23, 2013

Happy Birthday, Doctor!

Now and then, something truly remarkable happens in the world of entertainment. A 50th birthday is one of those things.



Today's the 50th anniversary of the first episode of "Doctor Who". For the celebratory episode, Steven Moffat wrote an excellent story, involving some timey-wimey mischief that culminated in John Hurt, playing the Doctor at the end of the Time War; David Tennant in a random companion-less moment of his timeline; and Matt Smith, the current Doctor (along with his most recent companion, Clara, played by the lovely Jenna Coleman), coming together to solve a couple of different problems.  The main plotline centers around the last day of the Time War, when the Doctor destroyed Gallifrey to save the universe. 

I don't want to give away any spoilers, since I know not everyone will be able to watch it today, but I can tell you that this episode is magnificent. It warmed my heart to watch Tennant again, and he and Smith together are adorable and funny and charming. Billie Piper is back, in a surprising way, and I liked her better this time around than when she was a companion.

The story is great, the actors are all in top form, the ending is superb. I cried. More than once. Okay, that's not a big accomplishment-- I cry a lot, but I found this episode touching and emotive. Good, good TV. 

No comments: