Thursday, November 7, 2013

What to Watch This Weekend 11/7/13

There are some great entertainment options this weekend!

In Theaters:

It's the best time of the year to start going to the movies again. Of course, "Ender's Game" (which I talked about here) is still in theaters, hoping for a big second weekend, but some fierce competition arrives with:

"Thor: The Dark World"It seems like there are more sequels every year, and this is no exception. Hopefully the second Thor movie will live up to the first and maybe even exceed it! I'll be there, in my usual spot at the back and center of the theater, popcorn and Red Vines in hand. (Okay, probably not. I tend to hate spending the $ for movie snacks, but I'll be smelling everyone's popcorn and wishing I had some. My Red Vines will be waiting for me at home.)

Of course, there are other movies out. I think "Gravity" is still playing, and "12 Years a Slave" and others, but why would you go see any of those when you could be watching THOR?



Netflix:

It seems like more and more, Netflix is loading up their streaming customers with TV options. Which is a lot of fun. 

One you may have missed when it originally aired, but is worth watching is the short-lived critical favorite "Freaks and Geeks". Only lasting one season before it got cancelled, this comedy/drama featured many young actors who then went on to big success, including James Franco ("Spiderman", "127 Hours"), Seth Rogen (a bunch of movies I haven't seen) and Jason Segel ("The Muppets", "How I Met Your Mother"). The 18 episodes are all on Netflix streaming. 
(Sensitivity warning: not for younger viewers, some of the material is decidedly adult, though not graphic.)



At Redbox:

"Monsters University" We just watched this a few nights ago, and we hadn't seen it before. My kids have nearly outgrown animated movies, but thanks to Pixar, you never really have to outgrow them. "University" is hilarious, from beginning to end. There are some sentimental nods to "Monsters, Inc.", but they are charming and the characters are as loveable as ever. If you missed it, go get it tonight! If you saw it, you know why you need to watch it again. Everyone, from my husband to my teenage sons to my sixth grade daughter loved it.

That should be enough to keep you busy this weekend. If you have any great ideas I left out, share them in the comments! 

No comments: