Thursday, October 24, 2013

What to Watch This Weekend

Looking for weekend entertainment? Here are a few suggestions:


Local Theater: 
Last Saturday, I went to see "Into the Woods" at the Centerpoint Legacy Theater in Centerville. I have been a long-time fan of this great Sondheim musical, I own the PBS version with Bernadette Peters, I have been in a community theater production, and I just love it. It's funny, fast-paced and musically superb. The Centerpoint production of it was excellent! The cast was mostly great (a few weak performances didn't ruin the show) and the set and staging were fantastic. I really enjoyed it a lot. If you're looking for a fun date night, this is it. 


On Netflix: 
If you aren't hooked on "Lost" yet, you could watch "Supernatural".  This show, which is currently into it's 9th season, is often edge-of-your-seat suspenseful and sometimes downright terrifying. I've only watched a couple of seasons, so I can't vouch for the whole show, but "Supernatural" is one to watch if you like a good scare peppered with humor and clever writing. (Not for kids, in my opinion.)


"The Emperor's New Groove" is one of the best animated movies to come out of Disney (sans Pixar) in the last decade. Often laugh-out-loud hilarious, it's absolutely a must see for the whole family. The characters are over the top, the writing is genius and the voice talent are superb. The story is about a snobbish, spoiled prince who gets turned into a llama and dumped in the wild, then coerces a local villager to take him back to the palace, and hijinks and adventure ensues. Catch it while it's streaming!


At Redbox:
Autumn is the dead zone for movies, but it's a great time to catch up on films you missed! For example, this week you can rent "Iron Man 3". I consider this the best of the trilogy so far. Fun for the whole family (almost- maybe not for babies & toddlers) , Tony Stark's character development is as interesting as the action is explosive. 


"Now You See Me" is decent entertainment for teens and adults. It's not my favorite movie I've seen this year, but it's not all bad. I liked it better the second time, on Blu-Ray. Special effects magic, a mildly interesting mystery, and amusing characters drive this movie. There is some sexual banter, but otherwise it's quite clean. 

             
Here in Utah, it's going to be another gorgeous, perfect Autumn weekend. Get out there and make the most of it!
From the website: jackandnan.com

No comments: