Monday, October 28, 2013

An Embarrassment of Entertainment Riches

 A plethora of amazing entertainment is coming in the next 6 months, and I am counting the days! Here's what I'm most excited about (in chronological order):




"Ender's Game"- based on the book by Orson Scott Card, it's the story of the boy recruited to save the world from alien invaders. This is one of my favorite sci-fi books, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they adapted it for film. 
Release date: November 1, 2013


"Thor: The Dark World"- this sequel to the 2011 film has a lot to live up to as the Asgardian hero returns to the post-"The Avengers" world. I'll have my fingers crossed that this film can at least keep pace with it's predecessor, if not surpass it in story, character development, acting, directing and general awesomeness. 
Release date: November 8, 2013



"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" is the sequel based on the book. A lot of people I know thought this was the best book in the trilogy, and I guess I agreed, because THIS is what I said on Goodreads after reading it. It's been long enough, though, that I hardly remember the books. That being said, I think I enjoyed the first movie more for having a few years between the reading of the book and the watching of the film. Hoping for the same experience with this sequel. 

Release date November 22, 2013



It is coming. "The Day of the Doctor". Also known as the "Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special", many of us so-called "Whovians" are ecstatically looking forward to this, because of the return of David Tennant. Tennant together with Matt Smith? Brilliant. I really can't wait. AND the fun news is that we can go see it in a local Cinemark movie theater and watch it live with the rest of the world. How cool is that?? (My only concern is the 3-D. I don't know if I can handle it... I get dizzy rather easily. I shall consider my options.) 

Show date: November 23, 2013



"Psych: The Musical" I guess we asked for it and now we're gonna get it. I love the sincerity on Dule Hill's face as he sings, while James Roday has his normal "Shawn Spencer" antics face going on. I have always loved this show. Setting an episode to music? Genius. Absolute genius. 
Air date December 15, 2013



"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug"
This year's installment in the trilogy is even more highly anticipated than the first because of the world's fastest rising star (and one of the best actors of this generation) Benedict Cumberbatch (and for "Lost" fans, Evangeline Lilly!) I was not thrilled when they announced that this little book would take three movies to make, but I will still go see all three of them. Happily, I might add. 
Release date December 13, 2013



"Doctor Who Christmas Special" also being called "The Fall of the Eleventh" because we know already that this will be Matt Smith's final episode, and fans will meet the 12th doctor, to be played by Peter Capaldi. I don't know if I will get to see it on Christmas day, because we live in the U.S., but I will certainly try my darndest. 
Air date Christmas Day 12/25/13



"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is a remake of an old Danny Kaye movie-- or maybe more of a re-imagining of the old film. I grew up on Danny Kaye and was not excited to hear they were remaking "Mitty", but after seeing the trailer and the new vision for the character, I have changed my mind. I think it looks great! The special effects and cinematography are fascinating and beautiful. 
Release date: Christmas Day 12/25/13 
P.S.- if you can get your hands on a copy of the original, it's well worth your time. Good, good stuff.



I am most most most looking forward to the premier of "Sherlock" series (or as we call it, season) 3. Most. I find myself actually breathless with anticipation. Cliche, yes, but true. I am seriously, heart-poundingly excited about this. I'm insane, I know. I just LOVE this show so much. So so so much. Episode 1 premier air date (in the U.S.) will be January 19, 2014 on PBS' Masterpiece. Or maybe sooner online??? 




As I showed you the other day,
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier"'s official trailer was released. I'm more excited about this than the second Thor film-- I can't wait!! But I guess I'll have to. 
Release date April 4, 2014

No comments: