Monday, February 6, 2012

Honor and Courage

A few nights ago, my husband and oldest son and I watched the newly-released-on-DVD film "Courageous", which was made by the people who made the movie "Fireproof" a few years ago. I enjoyed "Fireproof" for what it was-- a good movie about marriage and saving it-- it was moving and I enjoyed seeing Kirk Cameron again. I had a poster of him on the back of my bedroom door when I was about 12 years old...

My dad recommended "Courageous", telling us that it has a really good message, especially for fathers. So we watched it. It really was very good-- it was touching, inspiring and moving. It made me cry (which, according to my kids, isn't hard to do... but still...) If you don't know what it's about, I'll let you read the synopsis on the site-- follow the link above. 

My favorite character was Javier, who comes into the story part of the way through the movie, and isn't in the group on the cover of the movie, but he was the highlight of the show-- sweet, honest, hardworking, and prayed often. He worked hard and struggled and I found his character to be the most authentic. 

I was especially moved by the declaration the men all sign and commit to-- saying they are "doubly accountable" now as fathers and husbands. I think it's high time for fathers everywhere to truly take up the mantle of fatherhood- take it more seriously and honorably work hard to be not just "good enough" but to really try to live up to God's expectations of them as fathers and as men. This film is an excellent starting place. Watching these characters take responsibility and control of their lives is inspiring.

No comments: