Friday, April 4, 2014

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Or should I say "Captain YUM-erica". 

Ahem...

Captain America is back! He's got a new uniform, a new sidekick, and a new mission. 
from herocomplex.latimes.com

It's very difficult to talk about a new movie without giving any spoilers, so I guess I'll keep it brief.

The good: 

  • Chris Evans as Captain America is as hunky,   umm... I mean handsome... er... heroic as ever. I don't know how much was Evans and how much was stunt double, but I loved all the parkour and gymnastic style moves in the fight scenes this time around. Of course, he uses his shield well, too. Captain America is my favorite superhero. He's honest, he's trustworthy, he's good, and he tries to always do what's right. He's the perfect guy... and those shoulders? Seriously.
    from thelesfilms.wordpress.com
  • Scarlett Johansson is back as Black Widow, and she has some excellent scenes with the Captain, and, as usual, she kicks butt. She was really great, though I do wish we had a chance to get to know her character a little better. 
    from sciencefiction.com
  • The new sidekick, Falcon, played by Anthony Mackie, gets the best one-liners and a winged jetpack-thing that's pretty dang cool. Audiences will like him, I think.
    from geektyrant.com
  • As usual, the special effects were amazing, the action was exciting and the fight and car-chase scenes were thrilling.
  • I think the writers and directors of Marvel movies took a much-needed note from Joss Whedon's Avengers, and learned that superhero movies are much improved by humor! There are some good chuckles this time around.
  • The new villain, the Winter Soldier, is an ideal nemesis for Captain America, because he's been lab-created (much like the Captain) and seems to be his equal, physically. I wish there had been more of his story than there was, but his scenes were very good. If you don't know his identity yet, I don't want to be the one to spoil it, but it's a cool reveal when his mask gets knocked off.
    from screencrush.com
The not-as-good:
  • Shane Black, the director, must have spent too much time recently watching the Bourne movies. This is the first Marvel movie in which shaky-cam has bothered me. I don't remember it even being used in any of the others, but I could be wrong. It was bad enough that I had to cover my eyes a few times (dizzy!). This was both distracting and unnecessary. 
  • For a movie that's sub-titled "The Winter Soldier", it sure contained very little of the actual Winter Soldier guy. It almost felt like the whole movie was setup for the next movie. 
  • Garry Shandling looks like he's having an allergic reaction. In his face. It's kind of distressing.
    from moviepilot.com
Overall, the second Captain America is a really fun movie-- I liked it a lot and I would definitely recommend it. It's violent, of course, so probably not for the littlest kids, but it's great fun for big kids, teens and all the rest of us. 

No comments: