Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Get Arrested

It's been a while since I posted anything, and even longer since I posted anything of even moderate value, so I apologize and thank you for sticking with me anyway. I appreciate it. 


I was trying to think through why I haven't been writing much lately, and I've come to a few conclusions. 

  • I've been really, really busy. I've had one son with a broken arm, a daughter who had Influenza for two weeks and another son who had his wisdom teeth out, my daughter had an orthodontist appointment and one son and I had the dentist, plus my husband's birthday and the dinners and such that come along with that-- all this within a two-week period. For someone as socially anxious as I am, being busy with multiple appointments is exhausting, mentally and physically.
  • Plus I've been re-watching "Arrested Development". But more about that later. 
  • I'm reading a really good book, slowly. I find it hard to squeeze in time to read when my time is full and my brain is super tired by the end of the day. I like it, though. The author is Phillip DePoy and the main character is named Fever Devilin. I have read one other book about Fever, which I checked out from the library some time ago, and this one is a new release, so I grabbed it, even though I'm breaking my own rule of always reading books IN ORDER. The library only has book 4 and this new one. I own one other, but not the first few in order, and I hate reading them randomly, even if the stories stand alone, but these are really good, so I am reading it.
  • Sometimes I just don't have anything to say. Go figure.
But back to Arrested Development.
If you haven't seen this show, here is what I think. 


Five Reasons You Should Watch A.D.:
ONE- It is freaking hilarious. Like, top-notch comedy. The writing is so good-- quick, witty, subtle, and consistantly funny. Seriously. SO funny. I laugh aloud through every episode.

TWO- There is no other show so perfectly cast and the acting is superb. Every single regular character is matched with an actor that completely embodies everything about them. All of them seem as though you are really watching the Bluth family. Perfect casting. Did I say perfect? I meant it.

THREE- All three seasons that ran before it was cancelled are available to stream on Netflix. 'Nuff said.

FOUR- Inside jokes. You will understand references that otherwise you wouldn't have. Such as "I've made a big mistake." or certain horrifyingly funny chicken imitations. Or "Steve Holt!" Or "loose seal!" You will also get to see Liza Minelli at her best. She is just wonderful as Lucille 2.

FIVE- They are in the process of making more episodes. How often does a cancelled show have such a large fan following that it is brought back, years later? Um... like, never! The show's revival will not air on TV (as far as I understand), but will be exclusively on Netflix. I also understand it will just be the one season, though, I seem to remember some talk about a movie to follow? We shall see...

Three Reasons to Avoid A.D.:
ONE- It is raunchy, at times. It is worse than some prime-time shows, but not nearly as bad as others. It is decidedly not for kids. I wouldn't even let young teens watch it. They wouldn't get all the jokes anyway, but it is my opinion that it's not appropriate for kids. By raunchy, I mean this: characters talk about sex and some are quite promiscuous, though it is not graphic by any means, it is a common subject in the show. An EXCELLENT summary of the content and appropriateness is found here on Common Sense Media's page. Read it. Seriously. Now! 

TWO- The show is very addicting. Though you have to pay close attention to really get everything (as I said, the humor is quick-witted subtlety at its best), once you start getting into it, it is so hard to stop watching episodes. 

THREE- The characters are all rather self-centered and materialistic and not good role models. So don't go trying to emulate their behavior in your own lives, folks. 


No comments: