Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I Think I Know How It Ends

I don't usually voice my predictions. I don't like being wrong, especially publicly. But I think I know how Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson will end "The Wheel of Time". Not scene-wise, but the actual last bit of the book...


It occurred to me as I began the first chapter of the final book in the series, "A Memory of Light". I found myself a little choked up as the wind whipped across the land, as it always does in the first chapter of these books.
I think the last page of the book will follow that ever blowing wind, winding its way... somewhere. 

Not a very detailed prediction, I grant you, but the tradition of starting the first chapter of each book with the wind-- "The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."-- seems to me like the most fitting way to end the series. It won't be the end, but it will be an ending...

I certainly could flip to the end and peek and see if I'm right-- especially before posting this. But I won't. It would feel almost sacrilegious to do so. This series has been so much a part of my life, especially during the last year as I re-read the books, I wouldn't even consider "spoiling" any part of the ending for myself.

I'm even avoiding reading reviews, though I was tempted to do so. 

Soon I'll be done, and I'll tell you what I thought. If I recover...

No comments: